{ Login logot } Join! (free) FAQ Memberlist Search bridgendravens.myfreeforum.org Forum Index

bridgendravens.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Bridgend Ravens' News & Chat -> Another Bad Day.... Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Another Bad Day....
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:43 pm  Reply with quote
terrace dweller

It seems this forum has died a death not unlike the sad demise of Bridgend's rugby fortunes this season. Like a number of people I guess have held back from commenting on the relentless dreadful results that we just keep on coughing up game after game, week in, week out this term and today we delivered another one. It just typifies the reality of Bridgend's dismal attempts to compete on a rugby field these days. We'll all know if it can only continue to get worse after next week's game against Neath.
This is all such a crying shame after the fight to get back Premiership status and the sterling effort of last season. What an optomistic fool I was to vainly hope that we would at the very least try to maintain our level of performance with last year. But you can't blame the young players who are thrown in to games with little or no experience, no game plan, no consistency of selection and very often being asked to play out of position. You probably can't entirely blame the coaches either, because we must presume they are left continuously guessing as to who is or more appropriately, who is not available to them.
It is understood that the region calls the shots, but if the Ospreys wish to continue to benefit from taking players on and away, then perhaps someone there can explain how they intend to maintain this team as a basically competitive Premiership outfit capable of supplying the next group?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
jimbob

I agree. That's a fair summary of where we are at. Yesterday was a desperately disappointing day but the better team won. You could tell from reading the match day program that this was a big day for Bargoed RFC and they knew and believed they could win the match.
We are playing teams who have a settled side with the same core of players running out every week (eg Pontypridd). We never have two consecutive matches where we have the same core of players starting in the same regular positions.
Bridgend Ravens are producing talented players who are moving through the system to the Ospreys , one of the main tasks of Premiership clubs? but at the expense of stability in the Ravens team.
Before we start complaining about the Ospreys we have to remember that without their support we would be in Division 1 or 2 West by now.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Aled
Site Admin

jimbob wrote:

Before we start complaining about the Ospreys we have to remember that without their support we would be in Division 1 or 2 West by now.

We probably wouldn't even exist.

It's a frustrating time but now is the time to get behind the players more than ever. I've spoken to a few of them and they are disappointed but Neath gives them a really early opportunity to turn things around and put us back on track.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
fletcher

Sorry Aled cant agree...heard this line too many times before.  The link with the Ospreys is slowly killing us as it has completely robbed us of any meaningful identity.  I for one would rather see us starting again in the lowest divisions if need be...playing down Newbridge fields if need be....playing local boys...and regaining some sort of credibility/identity within the town....local derbys against the likes of Tondu, Llanharan, Kenfig Hill and the Ath would be more interesting than seeing us regularly beaten by the same sides in the premiership every week (Aberavon, Neath and Swansea have all registered good results recently so we may yet finish bottom!) This can be added to the argument that the WRU still show a fair amount of contempt for the Premiership anyway...so what would we be missing?
Ive seen every game this season but Saturday was a new low! To hear the Bargoed coach saying on Radio Wales after the game that they were confident of victory mostly because Bridgeng were fieldind a different line up every week was particularly galling!
The negotiations between Bridgend FC and Bryntirion Ath and the stagnation of the A48 development (does anyone really think we are going to have a new stadium built for us with the pathetic attendances of both football and rugby teams?) suggest that the days of The Brewery Field are probably numbered anyway!  Time to make the break,I say!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
Simon Green

Still gutted after the Bargoed result, a result I did fear when the draw was made. Very surprised more havent been on here to express their disapointment.

I am very happy for those who have had the opportunity to play Regional Rugby this year but the amount of players lost recently and as others have mentioned the fact our lineup changes week to week has almost certainly effected us badly.

I like many of you will always support the Ravens come rain or shine, but if the loses continue I fear we wont have many coming through the gates for our last few games and we want people to purchase season tickets again for next season.

Yes we need to get behind the team now but we also need to face the fact that its been a blooming dreadful season.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Aled
Site Admin

Its a catch 22 situation because this is how Welsh rugby has gone.

By being a Premiership side, we have access to the best players, and when internationals are away then we will clearly lose players that are of a sufficient standard to cover the regional losses.

Remember - most of these players 'taken' from us are actually OSPREYS contracted players and wouldn't be playing for us otherwise. Think of Ross Jones, Luke Morgan, Matt Dwyer, Tom Grabham - all full time Ospreys. It is the Ospreys right to have them in their side.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
greyhairedraven

Aled
You are not fooling anybody. No team can afford to chop and change week in, week out. We all know where we stand with the Ospreys but all the teams that are doing reasonably well have settled teams. Teams with older heads and experience. Why do older heads and experienced players not want to play for the Ravens? There are older Ospreys who sit on the bench why are we not having them.
We who support the club are being sold short, I would suggest that not many season tickets will be sold next season. We seem to be in the habit of losing which is very difficult to reverse, not looking forward to saturday, Neath seem to be improving significantly since MC has become involved again.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
celtic warrior

I would put a slightly different and maybe controversial slant on the season to date....Aside from Saturday's abject 1st half display where we were bullied at the breakdown and for the life of me cannot understand why Tom Morgan was left on the bench when we needed to front up aggressively ...There is a defined lack of leadership both on and off the field . We need to be in the referees ear (constructively),especially obvious in recent games,Pontypridd and Bargoed being typical recent examples where it appeared decisions at scrum time(wrongly IMO) were going against us. I would suggest that our forwards ,in general have more than held their own..however ..I feel and Bonus points and lack of tries support this ..we have been abject in our attacking play and creative ideas ,our backs have been toothless and predictable,tactical kicking has at times been aimless and the chase apathetic ,as for attacking and running lines,we have probably butchered more tries than we have scored with our running lines. On Saturday with less than 5 mins to go we actually had three players (backs) within touching distance of each other through running across field resulting in Murphy virtually receiving the final pass in touch ...The situation regarding Ospreys has changed dramatically and of all the clubs in the Region we have been clobbered through the tie up with the Ospreys ,simply some players in the Ravens back up squad are simply not good enough ...a couple of injuries to key senior experienced players and we look vulnerable and naive ..Winn ,Ashley James and Alex Jones missing Saturday were a big loss on top of the players lost to Ospreys.Let's not get carried away ,Bargoed were a good side ,but not a great side,they simply had a greater desire and carried harder.
What appeared to be a positive squad at the start of the season was simply a smokescreeen come LV,and International time and we have now been found out .I also question the performances this season of some of those players who have made the odd appearance for the Ospreys and have returned back to the Ravens nest,none of those have "stood " out as cameo performances from players who should be "standing out " as full time Pro players. Finally ,Friday night,Ellis and Dwyer I understand did not even get to take their tracksuits off ,..so begs the question ,could they not have been provisionally pencilled in for the Cup match.I understand the Ospreys  returned on Sat morning and that goes for any other Bench warmers we may provide,if they on have a 10 min cameo apperance on a Friday night why can't they play on a Saturday ...I fear for the rest of the seasons results and Saturday will be a defining moment for both this season and the future support of the team
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Wild Raven

greyhairedraven wrote:
Why do older heads and experienced players not want to play for the Ravens?

Money.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Wild Raven

celtic warrior wrote:
I would put a slightly different and maybe controversial slant on the season to date....Aside from Saturday's abject 1st half display where we were bullied at the breakdown and for the life of me cannot understand why Tom Morgan was left on the bench when we needed to front up aggressively ...There is a defined lack of leadership both on and off the field . We need to be in the referees ear (constructively),especially obvious in recent games,Pontypridd and Bargoed being typical recent examples where it appeared decisions at scrum time(wrongly IMO) were going against us. I would suggest that our forwards ,in general have more than held their own..however ..I feel and Bonus points and lack of tries support this ..we have been abject in our attacking play and creative ideas ,our backs have been toothless and predictable,tactical kicking has at times been aimless and the chase apathetic ,as for attacking and running lines,we have probably butchered more tries than we have scored with our running lines. On Saturday with less than 5 mins to go we actually had three players (backs) within touching distance of each other through running across field resulting in Murphy virtually receiving the final pass in touch ...The situation regarding Ospreys has changed dramatically and of all the clubs in the Region we have been clobbered through the tie up with the Ospreys ,simply some players in the Ravens back up squad are simply not good enough ...a couple of injuries to key senior experienced players and we look vulnerable and naive ..Winn ,Ashley James and Alex Jones missing Saturday were a big loss on top of the players lost to Ospreys.Let's not get carried away ,Bargoed were a good side ,but not a great side,they simply had a greater desire and carried harder.
What appeared to be a positive squad at the start of the season was simply a smokescreeen come LV,and International time and we have now been found out .I also question the performances this season of some of those players who have made the odd appearance for the Ospreys and have returned back to the Ravens nest,none of those have "stood " out as cameo performances from players who should be "standing out " as full time Pro players. Finally ,Friday night,Ellis and Dwyer I understand did not even get to take their tracksuits off ,..so begs the question ,could they not have been provisionally pencilled in for the Cup match.I understand the Ospreys  returned on Sat morning and that goes for any other Bench warmers we may provide,if they on have a 10 min cameo apperance on a Friday night why can't they play on a Saturday ...I fear for the rest of the seasons results and Saturday will be a defining moment for both this season and the future support of the team

That last bit won't work because the starting XV need to be known for the "team run" on a Thursday night. We can't not know who is in key positions until the morning of the game. Also it would not be fair on the player kicked out. It would be even more disruptive than at present.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Aled
Site Admin

greyhairedraven wrote:
Aled
You are not fooling anybody. No team can afford to chop and change week in, week out.

I am not trying to.

Every team who fits the development needs of this league has a different team every week. It's how it goes. It's not always good but thats how the Premiership is supposed to work, to an extent.

As for older, experienced players.. we cannot compete financially. We receive a lesser financial package off the WRU as we were not in the 'original' ten. If you want us to live outside of our means and almost go bust again, then paying for these would be the way.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
celtic warrior

Wild Raven wrote:
greyhairedraven wrote:
Why do older heads and experienced players not want to play for the Ravens?

Money.

Not true ...Do you believe X keys /Bedwas are paying their players Serious Wonga ...you are mistaken...

There are a minority of "Senior Players" on the circuit chasing the Big Bucks but they are well known..I would suggest that

1.Settled team
2.Non Region control
3.Success

are bigger factors in attracting teh quality experienced players ..Compare Newport predicament in their NGD tie up with the lesser Gwent sides ,Bedwas ,X Keys..which is more succesful...

Llanelli are constantly effected by the Scarlets player call ups during LV ,International...dont't see them struggling at bottom of League.

Finally ,Captains run....thing of the past ,sorry, that is an excuse .. Who suggested picking a player and then dropping him on teh Sat morning from teh original team..It goes something like this ...it's called communication ..Os why do you need player/players  X ,for your HOME game Friday night or local NGD,Blues,Scarlets games away.Doyou intend playing them or using them as bench fillers ..Os ..Bench fillers ..only play them if absolutely neccessary ..
Can they train with us Thursday night for 1/2 hr ,no physical exertion ,just run through ...Name side with Players X & Y included with a plan B in case they do have to play 20 mins + ...It has been done
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Wild Raven

celtic warrior wrote:
Finally ,Captains run....thing of the past ,sorry, that is an excuse .. Who suggested picking a player and then dropping him on teh Sat morning from teh original team..It goes something like this ...it's called communication ..Os why do you need player/players  X ,for your HOME game Friday night or local NGD,Blues,Scarlets games away.Doyou intend playing them or using them as bench fillers ..Os ..Bench fillers ..only play them if absolutely neccessary ..
Can they train with us Thursday night for 1/2 hr ,no physical exertion ,just run through ...Name side with Players X & Y included with a plan B in case they do have to play 20 mins + ...It has been done

Captains run. Not a thing of the past. Still done at our club, our region and our national side.

Lets apply your plan and study a possible conversation as a result.

Ravens: Os why do you need player/players  X ,for your HOME game Friday night or local NGD,Blues,Scarlets games away.

Ospreys: Because we do and we are paying their wages

Ravens: Do you intend playing them or using them as bench fillers.

Ospreys: How can we possibly know who is going to get injured? but they are a player of last resort bench filler.

Bench filling player: Well stuff you lot then if thats all you think of me.

Ravens:Can they train with us Thursday night for 1/2 hr ,no physical exertion ,just run through

Ospreys:No, in case they get injured in your session, besides they are training with us as we have selected them and they need to attend our captains run.

Ravens: Here is our side including Os bench fillers

Ospreys: Sorry but due to injuries your bench fillers played most of the game

Ravens: I know it's only 3 hours to kick off on a Saturday morning but can we please borrow your prop,hooker,scrumhalf,second row and other prop Mr Bridgend Athletic man.

Bridgend Athletic: Where the heck are we supposed to find replacments from at this short notice?

Called up players: Anyone know the lineout calls, moves, tactics or shall we just wing it?

It's not going to work and would be even more disruptive than at present.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
celtic warrior

Wild Raven wrote:
celtic warrior wrote:

Captains run. Not a thing of the past. Still done at our club, our region and our national side.  OSP CAPT RUN DONE DURING DAY TIME

Lets apply your plan and study a possible conversation as a result.

Ravens: Os why do you need player/players  X ,for your HOME game Friday night or local NGD,Blues,Scarlets games away.

Ospreys: Because we do and we are paying their wages.THAT APPLIES TO ALL RAVENS PAID PLAYERS ,OSPREYS SQUAD OR NOT

Ravens: Do you intend playing them or using them as bench fillers.

Ospreys: How can we possibly know who is going to get injured? but they are a player of last resort bench filler.THEY DON'T ,AND RAVENS WOULD HAVE TO COVER OFF THAT EVENTUALITY

Bench filling player: Well stuff you lot then if thats all you think of me. I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT ANY PLAYER WORTH HIS SALT WANTS TO PLAY RUGBY NOT WARM A BENCH FOR 80 MINS ON A WEEKLY BASIS ,UNLESS IT APPEALS TO HIS EGO .

Ravens:Can they train with us Thursday night for 1/2 hr ,no physical exertion ,just run through.WHO MENTIONED "PHYSICAL TRAINING SESSION "

Ospreys:No, in case they get injured in your session, besides they are training with us as we have selected them and they need to attend our captains run.  WHICH TAKES PLACE IN THE DAY !!

Ravens: Here is our side including Os bench fillers

Ospreys: Sorry but due to injuries your bench fillers played most of the game..WHICH BIT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND ,RAVENS HAVE A FALL BACK POSITION,THEY WILL NOW THE POSITION ON A FRIDAY NIGHT,THEY HAVE CONTRACTED PLAYERS THAT THEY CAN CALL ON

Ravens: I know it's only 3 hours to kick off on a Saturday morning but can we please borrow your prop,hooker,scrumhalf,second row and other prop Mr Bridgend Athletic man. WHY WOULD RAVENS COACHING TEAM LEAVE IT UNTIL A SATURDAY MORNING ,IT WOULD BE NOTIFIED ON A FRIDAY NIGHT POST OSP GAME THAT A PLAYER PREVIOUSLY SELECTED FOR OSP BENCH HAD PLAYED MORE THAN A SENSIBLE AMOUNT OF TIME AND THEREFORE BECAME UNAVAILABE FOR RAVENS 22 .

Bridgend Athletic: Where the heck are we supposed to find replacments from at this short notice?

Called up players: Anyone know the lineout calls, moves, tactics or shall we just wing it?  THE CALLED UP PLAYERS WOULD BE EXISTING MEMBERS OF RAVENS SQUAD ...WATCHING SATURDAY DO WE HAVE CALLS,MOVES ,TACTICS !

It's not going to work and would be even more disruptive than at present.
HEADS IN THE SAND SPRINGS TO MIND
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
fletcher

The earlier post is a good one....Bedwas and Cross Keys are showing the way...they have small supporter base...not greatly affected by regional call ups...have settled teams.... and are reasonably successful.
One or two of the more realistic posts above make it crystal clear that the Ospreys are not going to put themselves out one little bit to help Bridgends cause...we are simply here to be used and abused.  Bargoed came from the very bottom leagues to the top of the Championship...I would rather us take that route, regain an independent identity and be playing in their league rather than operating the way we are at the moment.

Another Bad Day....
  bridgendravens.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Bridgend Ravens' News & Chat